The Street Department is primarily responsible for the pick-up of brush and yard debris within the City of Anniston. However, this division also provides for the maintenance of City ditches, right-of-ways, streets, sidewalks, and storm drains. In addition, this division further oversees the operation of the City’s Paint & Sign Shop, and Tree Trimming teams.
Paint & Sign Shop: paints appropriate markings on streets, curbs, and City parking lots, supports traffic sign regulation, and maintains/installs all street signs.
Tree Trimming is responsible for routine tree trimming and the removal of trees located on the right-of-ways, within the City’s parks, and upon other City property.
Brush: The Street Division picks up brush that is placed out curbside by citizens in residential areas. In order to be picked up, Limbs must meet the following criteria:
- Limbs may have a diameter of up to four (4) inches.
- They must be cut in lengths not to exceed eight (8) feet.
- Limbs with a diameter greater than four (4) inches shall be cut into lengths not to exceed four (4) feet.
Contractors & Building Materials
- Items placed out by contractors, or those hired to do home improvements or lawn maintenance for residents, will not be picked up by the Street Division. It is up to the residents to make sure that the removal of all discarded materials is included in all price quotes.
- Appliance Removal Tags may be purchased through our Public Works Department by calling: 256-231-7742.
- For Non-Freon Appliances the tag costs $5.00.
- For Freon Appliances the tag costs $28.00.
Loose & Bagged Leaves
- Click here to learn more about Loose and Bagged Leaf collection in the City of Anniston.
- Regular household garbage is not picked up by the Street Division, it is picked up by Republic Services. You may contact their Call Center with questions at: 205-923-1650.
Items for pick up
- To read our Debris Pickup Policy, please click here.
- Debris for pick up should be placed in a clear area; not around or under utility boxes, power, cable or telephone lines; not under trees or near fences; and not under or around traffic or street signs. Never place items in storm drains, ditches, or culverts.
- Please note, the City will NOT collect the following materials: (a) Tires; (b) Household waste; (c) Rocks and dirt; (d) Concrete; (e) Concrete block, (f) Brick, (g) Roofing materials; (h) Construction materials; (i) Sheetrock; (j) Paint cans; (k) Pesticides; (l) Hazardous waste of any kind, including batteries, corrosives; and (m) Mixed materials (brush and leaves must be separated by 3 feet).