Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information and Updates
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO GET A POLICE REPORT?
Reports are $10.00 per copy. This includes incident/offense reports, miscellaneous incident cards, arrest reports and vehicle crash reports. Vehicle release forms are $5.00.
HOW CAN I OBTAIN A COPY OF A POLICE REPORT?
Copies may be purchased online or from the front Records unit window located inside the lobby of the police department. To purchase a copy online please click here: Police Reports
HOW CAN I OBTAIN A FORM SR-31?
SR-31 forms can be downloaded from ALEA’s website (https://app.alea.gov/Services/
Who should use this form?
If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident occurring in Alabama that caused death, personal injury, or property damage in excess of $500 by an uninsured motorist.
Note: You can only file this form if you have not been compensated for your injuries or losses. Claims cannot be filed on accidents which occur on private property.
HOW CAN I OBTAIN A COPY OF MY ACCIDENT REPORT?
There are two ways to obtain a copy.
1. You may purchase a copy at the front Records Unit window located inside the lobby of the police department. Copies are $10.00
2. You may purchase a copy online by clicking here: Police Reports
A minimum 48 hour waiting period exists before these reports are ready for sale. Hit and run accident reports and accident reports with injuries may take longer.
HOW DO I OBTAIN INFORMATION ABOUT SOMEONE IN JAIL?
Anniston inmates are now housed by the Calhoun County Sheriff’s Office. Jail inquiries can be made by dialing 256-236-5561
HOW DO I BAIL SOMEONE OUT OF JAIL?
There are three ways to make bail for someone in the jail on misdemeanor charges:
1. Cash bond. This type of bond is required for all contempt of court charges. You may bring the bond amount in cash only to the magistrate’s office during regular business hours or to the Anniston Police Department after regular business hours.
2. Property bond. A property owner in Calhoun County must go to the tax assessor’s office located in the county administration building and complete a property ownership form. All persons listed as owners on that form must appear in the magistrate’s office during regular business hours with picture ID. Property bonds will not be accepted after regular business hours.
3. Bonding company. A bonding company can be used to post bond for any misdemeanor charge that does not require a cash bond. There are several bonding companies authorized to make a bond with the jail and they can be located in the phone book. The fee charged by a bonding company is typically a percentage of the bond amount and must be paid before the subject is bonded out of jail.
WHEN IS JAIL VISITATION?
Contact the Calhoun County Sheriff’s Office at 256-236-5561 for this information.
A motor vehicle impounded by the city of Anniston, shall be released by the Anniston Police Department, subject to the following requirements:
1. The registered owner appears at the Anniston Police Department and presents:
a. his/her valid driver’s license; AND
b. evidence of current liability insurance for the vehicle AND
c. the current vehicle tag receipt in the registered owner’s name; OR
d. a copy of the current vehicle tag receipt in the registered owner’s name; AND
e. payment of a five dollar ($5.00) processing/administration fee to the
Anniston Police Department.
2. A registered owner not in possession of a valid driver’s license appears at the Anniston Police Department and presents:
Additionally, a registered owner not in possession of a valid driver’s license must be accompanied by someone with a valid license who will operate the vehicle from the storage facility.
3. A representative of the registered owner appears at the Anniston Police Department and presents:
a. his/her valid driver’s license; AND
b. written notarized authorization from the registered owner allowing for the
release of the impounded vehicle to the named representative; and
c. meeting the requirements listed in section 1: b, c, d, and e.
After meeting the above requirements, a written release form shall be given by the Anniston Police Department for the owner/representative to present to the towing company.