Police Officer Applicant Information
- $28,958 - $44,059 annually. Additionally, all sworn officers receive $100 monthly Public Safety pay.
- Health insurance available through BC/BS of Alabama
- 14 days vacation per year (increases with longevity)
- 12 sick days per year
- 11 holidays per year
- Retirement eligible at 20 years of service
- All uniforms and equipment provided by the city. Annual supplement of $600 to maintain/replace equipment
Applicants for the position of police officer must:
- Be at least 19 years of age;
- Be a United States citizen;
- Be a graduate of an accredited high school or have obtained a GED;
- Not have been convicted of any felony, or any misdemeanor which precludes you from possessing a firearm.
- Pushes a standard patrol vehicle, in neutral, a distance of 15 feet;
- Runs a short distance and climb over a six-foot wall or chain link fence;
- Runs a short distance to an obstacle similar to a small window and crawls through the window;
- Runs a short distance to a balance beam mounted approximately one foot off the ground, balancing on the beam and walk the length of the balance beam (fifteen feet);
- Runs a short distance and drags a 165-pound dummy a distance of 15 feet
The Physical Fitness Test requires the applicant:
- Completes Twenty-Two (22) push-ups in 60 seconds
- Completes Twenty-Five (25) sit-ups in 60 seconds
- Runs 1.5 miles on a flat, level course within 15 minutes, 28 seconds
If you pass the Agility Test and the Physical Fitness Test you will be required to fill out an in depth application and we will begin a background check to determine your suitability to become a police officer. Upon completion of your background check you will be scheduled for a polygraph exam regarding your responses to the questions asked on the application.
A board composed of the Chief of Police and various members of the department will be convened to interview you. If the decision to hire you is made you will be required to undergo a physical exam and a psychological evaluation.
Upon successfully completing these steps a hire date will be scheduled for you and we will coordinate a date for you to begin the police academy.
If you have any questions regarding the hiring process please contact:
Lieutenant Nick Bowles (256) 240-4050 firstname.lastname@example.org
Officer Jeff Hamrick (256) 240-4073 email@example.com
Applications may be obtained from the Anniston Civil Service Board at 1128 Gurnee Avenue, Anniston, Alabama, or downloaded here.