Police Officer Applicant Information
- $28,958 - $44,059 annually. Additionally, all sworn officers receive $100 monthly Public Safety pay.
- Health insurance available through BC/BS of Alabama
- 14 days vacation per year (increases with longevity)
- 12 sick days per year
- 11 holidays per year
- Retirement eligible at 20 years of service
- All uniforms and equipment provided by the city. Annual supplement of $600 to maintain/replace equipment
Applicants for the position of police officer must:
- Be at least 19 years of age;
- Be a United States citizen;
- Be a graduate of an accredited high school or have obtained a GED;
- Not have been convicted of any felony, or any misdemeanor which precludes you from possessing a firearm.
The first step in becoming an officer is to submit an application and background packet to the Anniston Civil Service Board. Make sure you sign your application and return it to the address listed at the top of the application. The Alabama Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission has an established Physical Agility Test and a Physical Fitness Test that every police applicant must pass in order to complete the police academy and become certified as a police officer. Since you must be able to pass these physical requirements in the first week of the academy or be dismissed, the Anniston Police Department has adopted these requirements in their hiring process and therefore every police applicant must demonstrate the ability to satisfactorily pass these standards. After your application is submitted, you will receive mailed instructions to take the Physical Agility/Physical Fitness test which consists of the following:
- Pushes a standard patrol vehicle, in neutral, a distance of 15 feet;
- Runs a short distance and climb over a six-foot wall or chain link fence;
- Runs a short distance to an obstacle similar to a small window and crawls through the window;
- Runs a short distance to a balance beam mounted approximately one foot off the ground, balancing on the beam and walk the length of the balance beam (fifteen feet);
- Runs a short distance and drags a 165-pound dummy a distance of 15 feet
The Physical Fitness Test requires the applicant:
- Completes Twenty-Two (22) push-ups in 60 seconds
- Completes Twenty-Five (25) sit-ups in 60 seconds
- Runs 1.5 miles on a flat, level course within 15 minutes, 28 seconds
If you pass the Physical Agility/Physical Fitness test you will be eligible to take a written exam. Once an exam is scheduled, you will be mailed a postcard informing you of the date, time and location of the exam. When you arrive for the exam remember to bring a valid state or military issued photo ID. Approximately 14 days after the exam you will be notified by mail of your score. If you pass the exam you will be placed on an eligibility list ranked according to your test score.
After the written exam, the Anniston Civil Service Board will provide us with a list of eligable candidates. An in depth background check to determine your suitability to become a police officer will take place. Upon completion of your background check, a board composed of the Chief of Police and various members of the department will be convened to interview you. If the decision to hire you is made you will be scheduled for a polygraph exam regarding your responses to the questions asked on the application/background packet. You will also be required to undergo a physical exam and a psychological evaluation.
Upon successfully completing these steps a hire date will be scheduled for you and we will coordinate a date for you to begin the police academy.
If you have any questions regarding the hiring process please contact:
Lieutenant Justin Sanford (256) 240-4050 email@example.com
Sergeant Tim Suits (256) 240-4073 firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications may be obtained from the Anniston Civil Service Board at 1128 Gurnee Avenue, Anniston, Alabama, or downloaded here.